Training Course Information
A lack of preparation for fire emergencies can be costly to both human life and property. Therefore, training in the essentials of fire safety is crucial.
According to the UK Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) in 2012/13 alone, there were:
- 1,826 fires in industrial processing premises, with 82 casualties.
- 5,671 fires in commercial/retail premises alone, of which 39% were in retail premises.
- 1,017 fires in health/hospital premises, with 32 casualties.
- 635 fires in schools – more than one a day.
The Fire Safety Online Training course advises users what action to take if they discover a fire. Users will learn how to raise the alarm and contact security or the fire services. Additionally, the course explains the importance of evacuating a building by the safest and most immediate route.
The course emphasises that if you hear a fire alarm, you must always assume it is a genuine emergency. Information is provided about potential fire hazards in the workplace and how to help prevent fires occurring. Some of the most common causes of workplace fires are due to carelessness around fire hazards and the misuse of electrical appliances.
Users are introduced to the fire triangle, how fires start and are sustained, how fires develop and how they spread. In the fire triangle, fire is a chemical reaction involving three elements. All three elements must be present in order for a fire to exist.
The Fire Safety Online Training course describes fire signage. Fire signs are used to communicate messages relating to fire safety. A safe evacuation procedure is explained and although, in most cases people evacuate rather than fight a fire, the course provides information about different classifications of fires, different types of fire extinguishers and the correct equipment to use for different situations.
Users are advised that it is important to be aware of an organisation’s fire assembly point. All evacuees should remain at this point until authorised personnel advise it is safe to return. The course ensures users know what to do during an emergency evacuation. Regular evacuation practice allows employees to become familiar with escape routes and also work out alternative routes if required. Finally, advice on basic first aid is also included in this course.
Main sections in this Fire Safety online training:
- Fire Safety Essentials Introduction
- Fire Prevention
- Emergency Evacuation
- Fire Fighting
- Final Test
Is it for me?
For non-specialists, that is people without a specific fire safety role (eg, not for fire wardens, marshals or appointed persons) who need to understand their role in preventing fires, maintaining safe exits routes and responding quickly in the event of an alarm.
- To explain how fires happen and the different causes of fires.
- To recognise the role individuals play in preventing fires.
- To know what to do in the event of a fire.
- To recognise fire hazards in the workplace.
- To describe how to evacuate a building during a fire emergency.
- What to do if you discover a fire.
- To show how fires are classified.
- Operation of, common fire extinguishers and the importance of using the right type of extinguisher on each type of fire.
This online training is RoSPA Approved. This eLearning course is approved by RoSPA. Once the 40 minute course is completed, users must take a final test consisting of 10 questions. The final test has a minimum pass rate requirement of 70%. On successful completion of the test, users can download and print off a RoSPA approved certificate.