The benefits of teamwork apply across all industries – some jobs simply cannot be done alone, whilst others will be enhanced by the efforts of more people. Individuals all have their own strengths, their own skills and their own ideas to bring to the table and, when they work together as a team, will create something far more powerful than anything that is turned out by one single person. Just look at the following compelling reasons for promoting teamwork in your organisation
- Productivity Boost – when the workload is shared equally by members of a team and the tasks are allocated according to the strengths and skills of each team member, tasks are completed faster and more efficiently which results in a noticeable increase in productivity.
- Promotes Innovation – working in a team means working more creatively, bouncing ideas off each other and creating innovative and practical solutions to problems. When working in a team on a brainstorming exercise, people are usually more confident and come up with unique and creative ideas.
- Improves Morale – when the workload is shared by a team, the collaboration enables all members to feel a greater sense of achievement when the task is completed. Each member accomplishes more than they could alone, feeling the recognition and the sense of belonging that improves their self-esteem. This leads to job satisfaction with the feeling of joy that comes from the sense of belonging.
- Support Network – during the challenging times that face any business, team members will help and rely on each other for support and guidance. This enables them to focus on the goal, reduces the stress during difficult times and enables them to complete projects in an efficient manner.
- Establishes Strong Relationships – developing strong relationships with colleagues helps team members to communicate freely and more effectively. Members will motivate and encourage each other to work with their strengths and talents, developing new ones too. Being part of a team builds trust and strong bonds, creating a work environment in which members feel comfortable trying new ways of doing things, asking questions and asking for or offering help when necessary.
- Improves Communication Skills – for all team members. No two people are the same and sometimes there is a clash of personalities. Enhanced communication skills gained by working in a team will facilitate conflict resolution as the team needs to work collectively towards a common goal that depends upon the input of all members.
- Enables Flexibility – team member who collaborate in the workplace are often cross-trained to cover for each other’s strengths and skills. This means that there is more flexibility for employees to plan their personal obligations (such as medical appointments or childcare) without disrupting the project. This type of flexibility often improves morale and productivity while promoting a healthy work-life balance.
- Increases Skills and Knowledge – team members share information as they work which leads to all team members having an increased knowledge and skillset.
- Develops Leadership Qualities – whether the team has one specific member as team leader or whether the team leader changes depending on the task, all members of the team will be encouraged to enhance and deploy their own leadership qualities from time to time.
- Facilitates Career Progress – working as part of a team helps to advance your career. By collaborating with others, you’re exposed to their skillsets which means that you can learn and expand on your own skillset. This can lead to better career opportunities in the future.
- Expands Professional Network – the alliances forged can potentially lead to bigger and better opportunities in the future.
- Improves Service – the benefits of teamwork are not just limited to the workplace – it also improves the service provided to customers.
Teams that work well together result in an organisation with happy employees and most people and business prefer to do business with organisations whose employees have a strong work ethic and team spirit. To find out how your business can benefit from Teamwork, why not check out our one-day course on Creating a Team Based Environment?